Garden Day is October 21, 2023
Where: UCR Palm Desert
75080 Frank Sinatra Dr, Palm Desert, CA 92211
When: 8am – 2pm
Both the event and parking are free!
We’re super excited about this new format we’ve organized with our Garden Coalition members — DHSCV, UCR, Master Gardeners, and California Native Plant Society (CNPS).
There will be only one informational session at a time this year so you don’t have to miss any!
- Doors Open: 8am
- 9:00 AM All About Trees
- Topics: Native Trees, Palm Tree Skirts, Basic concepts for proper tree pruning, and Q&A
- Speakers: Colin Barrows at UCR and Al Holinger at Vintage Landscape
- 10:15 AM Native Plants
- Topics: Selecting Native Plants for Wildlife and Integrating Native Plants into an Existing Garden
- Speakers: Robin Kobaly of SummerTree Institute and Lisha Astorga of DesertStrawHouse Native Plant Nursery
- 11:30 AM Gardening with Edible Plants (Herbs, Veggies, and Fruits)
- Topics: Container Gardening with Edible Plants, Edible Landscaping — Eat Your Yard
- Speakers: Christine Lampe with introduction by Brad Hardison
- 12:45 PM Climate Resilience
- Topics: Water use in Coachella Valley, Composting, Responding to Floods/Droughts/Heatwaves
- Speakers: CV Water Counts, Hailey from Desert Compost, and Dr. Cameron Barrows of UCR
- All day: Plant sales support CNPS and Master Gardeners
- All day: Groups with great information about composting, Monarchs, and more!
- All day: Get your irrigation questions answered by local legend Spencer Knight
- All day: Get your native plant questions answered by Lisha Astorga from DesertStrawHouse Nursery
Want to volunteer for this event?
You can sign up here and they’ll get you set up. We provide Vegan sandwiches from Tanya’s Kitchen and UCR provides snacks, water, and coffee throughout the day.